Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Dove Nest

This is our dove momma (or maybe daddy).  This is a stark contrast to the finch nest that was in our fern...  

For one thing, the finches would fly out of the nest as soon as we open the front door.  This allowed us to be able to monitor the eggs, but also made us almost feel like we couldn't use the porch.  We limited our time outside to small intervals so that she could sit on her nest.

The doves, on the other hand, never leave.  When we open the door, she (or he) hunker down so we can't see them.  Or so they think.  One of them is ALWAYS on the nest.   I hear they rotate out in about 12 hour shifts.  Only once have I seen two on there at once.

Yesterday, I was peering through the office window (she didn't see me), and I caught her feeding babies!  I'm pretty sure there were two, but I can't be sure.  I didn't dare move or breath for fear that she would stop and hunker down again...

So, we do have babies!!  I'm gonna try my darnedest over the next couple of weeks to get some pictures of them...

AMW

No comments: